Green Sanctuary News

Hiking the Lynn Woods

It was bright spring morning in May, as 15 members of the UUCGL gathered at the Pennybrook Road entrance to the Lynn Woods ready to embark on a short invigorating hike into the woodlant.  Led by Ranger Dan Small, the group headed off to the Stone Tower (pictured).  Set on the highest point in the Woods, the 48 ft. field stone tower was constructed as part of the WPA in 1936 for fire observation.  Renovated and re-dedicated in 2010, the Tower today provides visitors to the Woods with grand views of Lynn’s waterfront, Boston, and neighboring North Shore towns.  The hike was sponsored by the Green Sanctuary Ministry Team who’s theme this coming year will be “Into the Woods.”